History

The history of Instrument Design Bureau begins on October 1 1927, since the time of emerging of the first design organization for small arms development- project and design bureau (PKB) under Tula arms factory.

Pavel Petrovich Tretiakov

П.П.Третьяков

The first head of the project design bureau of small arms under first USSR arms factories in Tula (1927-1929).

A talented perfectly-educated military engineer with significant manufacturing experience and brilliant organizing capabilities, Pavel Tretiakov was appointed the first head of the bureau.

Experience, knowledge and skill of Tula’s arms manufacturers, implementation of engineering methods when designing new weaponry specimens made up the basis of the success of the project design bureau (since 1936 TsKB-14). The first significant success of the bureau was adaptation in the Red Army a TT (Tula, Tokarev) pistol in February 1931. This pistol remained in service with the army for 20 years.

Airborne machineguns SHKAS, SHWAK, UB, airborne cannons VYA and B-20, the specimen, which exceeded any of those existing in the world at that time. These arms famed the talented staff during the ferocious years of the Great Patriotic War.

Igor Fiedorovich Dmitriev

И.Ф.Дмитриев

Head of TSKB-14 (1946-1958), Lenin prize-winner, State prize-winner of USSR.

Restoration of the enterprises activities in the post-war period was carried out by engineer and organizer Igor Fedorovich Dmitriev

Under Mr. Dmitriev’s guidance the work on development of small-arms/gun armaments continued. 9-mm PM pistol (Makarov), 9-mm АPS automatic pistol (Stechkin pistol), 23-mm АМ-23 airborne gun, 23-mm 2А7 gun for “Shilka” self-propelled AD system, 23-mm ZU-23 anti-aircraft mount with 2A14 AD gun.

Arkady Georgievich Shipunov

А.Г.Шипунов

During the period 1962 to 2006 chief designer and head of the unitary state-owned enterprise "Instrument Design Bureau", Hero of socialistic labor, winner of Lenin and State prizes, member of Russian Academy of Sciences, member of Russian Academy of Missile and Artillery sciences, member of International Engineering Academy, member of Russian Engineering Academy, doctor of technical sciences, professor.

In early 1960s the main direction of the enterprise’s work was development of high-precision armament systems. At the same time small arms branch was transferred to TSKIB Central design and research bureau, founded in 1946. In March 1962 TSKB-14 was headed by an outstanding Russian designer and scientist Arkady Georgievich Shipunov. Headed by him, KBP (name, obtained in 1966) started work on development of guided missile armament, including high precision weaponry. The implementation of scientific decisions, suggested by A.G. Shipunov provided for development of armaments and military equipment, which have no foreign counterparts and exceeding existing foreign samples in all technical specifications and level of performance. The best examples of of such systems are Kornet-E ATGM, Krasnopol-M2 guided artillery armament system, Tungusska Missile and gun AD system, Pantsir S1 Missile and gun AD system, Kashtan AD missile and gun system.

Vasily Petrovich Griazev

В.П.Грязев

During the period1966 to 2008 was Deputy General Designer and Deputy Head of KBP.

Hero of Socialistic Labor, prize-winner of State prizes, member of Russian Academy of Missile and Artillery sciences member of Russian Engineering Academy, Doctor of technical sciences, professor.

Development of small arms and gun armament was renewed at KBP since 1968, and by now the enterprise is still a world leader in this field. The development of this branch was significantly influenced by deputy head designer Vasily Petrovich Griazev.

Uniting of TSKIB-SOO and KBP in 1996 work in the sphere of small arms and gun armament gave the enterprise an additional creative urge.

Ордена КБП

For the work development of military equipment KBP was awarded the Order of Lenin (1944), Order of Red Labor Banner (1979) and Order of October Revolution(1985). The employees of the enterprise became Lenin Prize winners for 8 times, and 78 times of USSR and Russia State Prize.

History of the name of the Enterprise

  • 1927 — Project and design bureau of small arms
  • 1935 — Central design bureau of small arms
  • 1936 — Central design bureau No 14 (TsKB-14)
  • 1966 — Instrument Design Bureau
  • 1987 — Research and manufacturing association "Tochnost" of Instrument Design Bureau
  • 1997 — Unitary state-owned enterprise "Istrument Design Bureau"
  • 2011 — "Instrument Design Bureau "JSC

Latest News

19.06.2019
«MILEX – 2019»
Delegation of KBP Joint Stock Company took part in MILEX-2019 International Exhibition of Weapons and Military Equipment which was...
19.06.2019
«ARMY – 2019»
KBP JSC under the umbrella of High Precision Weapons holding company took part in ARMY- 2019 International Military Technology...
12.09.2018
«Army-2018»
In the period from 21 to 26 August JSC KBP named after Academician A. Shipunov took part in Army-2018...